Pontville marks big day in church’s story

St Mark’s Anglican Church in Pontville celebrated its 180th anniversary on February 21, the exact day of the first service in 1841.

By REV ROD CURTAIN*

ST Mark’s Anglican Church in Pontville celebrated its 180th anniversary on February 21, the exact day of the first service in 1841.

St Mark’s beautifully proportioned Italianate-style building was designed by government architect James Blackburn and built by James Moir from locally quarried sandstone.

Land on which St Mark’s is situated was set aside by the government in 1839 but delays resulting from its convict labourers being diverted to other projects, such as the Pontville bridge and the watch-house, meant the building was not completed until 1841.

Members of the congregation take part in the celebration.

In that year, the Reverend John Burrowes arrived in Tasmania and was appointed chaplain at Pontville.  He remains the longest serving rector of St Mark’s, remaining there until his retirement in 1876.

The interior includes elaborately carved furniture by Hobart woodcarver, the late Ernest Osborne, along with the organ built by Bevington & Sons of London and installed in 1888.

We recently held a day of celebration when the congregation was joined by members of the St Mathews Choir from New Norfolk, led by Susan Reppion-Brooke, along with Assistant Bishop Chris Jones and Arch Deacon Stephen Savage as well as Mayor Tony Foster.   A barbecue lunch followed.

Services are held every Sunday at 10am and the second Wednesday each month.  Baptism and wedding ceremonies are held along with funeral services.

*Rev. Rod Curtain is Anglican Parish of Brighton.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *