Council’s software business to secure future for gymnasts

BRIGHTON Council’s local government software business, MicroWise Australia intends to purchase the Derwent Indoor Sports Centre building in Hurst Street Bridgewater, securing the future of the local gymnastics academy.

The decision of the MicroWise Board of its intention to purchase the building for $625,000 was endorsed by the Brighton Council at its March Meeting.

The 10,000 square metre building is occupied by the Hobart Gymnastics Academy, a not-for profit organisation founded in December 1993. Although it has used the building since 2008 and is experiencing strong growth, the Academy has no formal lease on the premises, placing it in a tenuous position.

MicroWise is providing the Academy with a 10-year commercial lease, guaranteeing the future of this important community organisation.

The Hobart Gymnastics Academy currently caters for 650 registered, as well as providing training facilities for some 6,000 students each year. Approximately 80 percent of members live within the Brighton municipality with the remaining 20 percent travelling as far as Orford to train and attend classes.

Programs run by the Academy range from toddlers to adult courses and include: pre-kinder ‘gymtots’, recreational gymnastics for boys and girls, competitive artistic gymnastics for boys & girls, trampolining, rhythmic gymnastics, acrobatics, school group classes, birthday parties.

While providing for all levels of skill, the Academy regularly produces state champions who compete at a national level as well as Australian representatives who have gone on to compete at international level.

The building purchase by MicroWise and subsequent long-term lease will enable the Academy to continue to provide healthy activities for the Brighton community and produce future state and national gymnastic representatives.

Brighton Mayor Tony Foster said the decision by MicroWise represented a great investment in the Brighton Community but it was also a solid investment for the company.

“It certainly demonstrates the value of the commercial arm of the Brighton Council being able to invest in our community and secure the future of a wonderful community organisation that is arguably a sporting club of state significance.

“Wholly-owned by Brighton Council, MicroWise Australia develops and markets unique local government management software and the company is in a sound financial position, well able to fund the property acquisition.

“The Derwent Indoor Sports Centre building will provide a sound commercial return and importantly will enable this amazing community organisation to not only survive, but expand in the future,” Cr Foster said.

Securing the premises for the Academy was encouraged by  the State Government and the long-term lease arrangement opens up opportunities for grant funding for program expansion and capital improvements to the building.